What do you want your boots to know?

A general board for all introductions, chat, or other conversations.

Moderators: smarterthanyou, Founder

Forum rules
REGISTER FOR ACTIVATION ON THE SITE FOR FULL ACCESS TO ALL OTHER TOPICS AND SUBJECTS THAT ARE HIDDEN TO GUESTS WITHOUT REGISTRATION. THANK YOU.

What do you want your boots to know?

Postby cklawless » 26 Mar 2014, 03:15

MotorT School house has recently undergone and entire tear down and revamp. The ECLMS (electronic classroom where you were just clicking all day) is gone. Its been replaced with power points, however the instructors are much more engaged than they used to be.

If you had a newjoin since Jan 2014 they were the first to go through it. What are some trends you're noticing that they don't know? What are some things you would like them to know? There is a T&R conference coming up here in a couple months where this is all going to be discussed. Let me know what you think so I can try and make changes.

I'm just a motivated SGT trying to fix motor t
Last edited by SUPERMOD on 15 Jul 2015, 06:09, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: To make it visable to all
cklawless
Newb
Newb

Re: What do you want your boots to know?

Postby SUPERMOD » 26 Mar 2014, 08:11

Hey Great idea and post!!!! let's make this really visable.. I am going to globalize this for ya.

ALL HANDS SHOULD TAKE PART IN THIS CONVERSATION, IT WILL AFFECT US ALL!!!
SuperMod
3521/0411/0916

"IF YOU DONT LIVE FOR SOMETHING, YOU DIE FOR NOTHING"
SUPERMOD
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby 1234567890 » 02 Apr 2014, 10:40

When i get my boot drop i will definitley chime in

Postby SUPERMOD » 17 May 2014, 13:43

I believe that it is extremely important to stress the idea of accountability and ownership. I know this isn't maintenance minded solely, but I have heard it all to often recently, "Ain't my truck" or "Not my truck, not my problem." This is the mentality of young Marines working on gear and how they treat it when it's in their hands. I am extremely depressed hearing this all the time because this mindset transfers over to all kinds of work and can and will get someone killed in country and conus. We really need to press the idea that all the vehicles are our responsibility and that ours and our brothers lives depend on them. IMO.
SuperMod
3521/0411/0916

SUPERMOD
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby cklawless » 30 May 2014, 03:55

SUPERMOD wrote:I believe that it is extremely important to stress the idea of accountability and ownership. I know this isn't maintenance minded solely, but I have heard it all to often recently, "Ain't my truck" or "Not my truck, not my problem." This is the mentality of young Marines working on gear and how they treat it when it's in their hands. I am extremely depressed hearing this all the time because this mindset transfers over to all kinds of work and can and will get someone killed in country and conus. We really need to press the idea that all the vehicles are our responsibility and that ours and our brothers lives depend on them. IMO.

We currently have a mentorship program going where 2 instructors are in charge of libo packets, pt'ing and mentoring to a class of 45. I will pass this word on that this is a current trend.

BUMP!!! I can't help fix what I don't know.
cklawless
Newb
Newb

Postby SUPERMOD » 04 Jun 2014, 17:31

Yut. Thanks CK.
SuperMod
3521/0411/0916

SUPERMOD
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Petz » 11 Jun 2014, 08:56

I was there for the MTMCC in Jan and saw what they were doing first hand. It's bringing back some of the old school with a common sense approach to HOW they learn stuff. They are no longer learning Platforms (HMMWV, MTVR, etc.) they are learning systems (engine, trans, axles, electrical, etc) which gears them torwards a more open minded approach to Maintenance. We can work on any gear so long as we can read a TM. However I feel there is stuff missing and the focus needs to be heavy into the 8 functional areas of maintenance. Unless we're at a Maintenance Bn we have only a few SNCOs and at smaller shops these 3521s are being put on charge of those programs.

The fact is, most of these Marines usually don't work on every item the Corps has and in some cases they never will (line company in a Infantry Bn, Med Bn, Comm Squadron, etc.). Getting down to brass taxes, FSMAO is coming back hard and money is drying up. The programs prevent waste and improve efficiency, they should be taught to the Marines where there is a single source of knowledge and the Maintenance can be taught by the Units and the AMTCC or other advance courses.
Petz
It's Already Fixed

Postby cklawless » 14 Jul 2014, 02:28

Petz wrote:I was there for the MTMCC in Jan and saw what they were doing first hand. It's bringing back some of the old school with a common sense approach to HOW they learn stuff. They are no longer learning Platforms (HMMWV, MTVR, etc.) they are learning systems (engine, trans, axles, electrical, etc) which gears them torwards a more open minded approach to Maintenance. We can work on any gear so long as we can read a TM. However I feel there is stuff missing and the focus needs to be heavy into the 8 functional areas of maintenance. Unless we're at a Maintenance Bn we have only a few SNCOs and at smaller shops these 3521s are being put on charge of those programs.

The fact is, most of these Marines usually don't work on every item the Corps has and in some cases they never will (line company in a Infantry Bn, Med Bn, Comm Squadron, etc.). Getting down to brass taxes, FSMAO is coming back hard and money is drying up. The programs prevent waste and improve efficiency, they should be taught to the Marines where there is a single source of knowledge and the Maintenance can be taught by the Units and the AMTCC or other advance courses.

What specifics can I relay to the other staff that you want to see accomplished. Me going off on what I think is important isn't enough. But if you tell me specifics, thats just more ammo for me to use.
cklawless
Newb
Newb

Postby Petz » 25 Jul 2014, 12:18

I'd like to see them learn how do Mods, PM scheduling, Calibrations (annual inventory, scheduling), Inventory Control, Processing parts properly from supply to debrief to include sub-inventory transfers, and following up with supply via GCSS. I think they all should be taught about Maint Mangement policy notices and what they are used for and who to seek out to get them, GPNs (provide a copy to them) as well as showing them the GEMP and new 4400.150 so they know the references.

Them walking away with DVDs to reference is the best option.
Petz
It's Already Fixed

Postby CRC » 24 Aug 2014, 09:39

I have received a few boots here lately and I have been impressed by their work ethic and knowledge. I have yet to determine if it is just their character or if the school house is doing something right. I will give credit to the school house for now...THANK YOU. One thing I have noticed is their lack of parts ordering knowledge. SMR codes, UOC, and the difference in units of issues and knowing which parts can and cannot be reused when replacing components. It has been a while since I have been to the school house so I am unfamiliar to the depth at which these are taught. Hope this helps.
CRC
Know it All
Know it All

Next

Return to General