What do you want your boots to know?

A general board for all introductions, chat, or other conversations.

Moderators: smarterthanyou, Founder

Forum rules
REGISTER FOR ACTIVATION ON THE SITE FOR FULL ACCESS TO ALL OTHER TOPICS AND SUBJECTS THAT ARE HIDDEN TO GUESTS WITHOUT REGISTRATION. THANK YOU.

Re: What do you want your boots to know?

Postby Berejen36 » 29 Aug 2014, 07:15

I don't know what's going on at the school house. I have 4 brand new mechanics and they don't know anything. One didn't know how to start a HMMWV (no joke). They are all reservists I would think they would at least know how to troubleshoot a headlight, but last drill I put three of them together with the Proper TM and they couldn't figure out how to fix the headlight. So, most of the times I end up teaching these Marines how to fix everything. If a truck really need to be fixed I have to do it myself because they don't even know how to do a basic APMCS. I don't know if I got all the slow ones or if they just didn't learn anything from Camp Johnson. It's been a while since I graduated from the school house (I was the first class to transition from 5Ton to the MTVR) but I think these new Marines need to be thought how to do a basic APMCS at least. That was my very first job when I checked in my first unit, and I figured it out easily. The school house needs to put more emphasis on electronic troubleshooting procedures. Our equipment is coming out with more and more electronic features. Teach them how to properly use a VADS system that would be a tremendous help for when they get to their units. I had this awesome high tech wheel alignment system at my old unit. None of the new Marines knew how to use it. Also a lot of them have the Air conditioning certification card but they always say they have no clue on how to use it. Most of our vehicles have AC units in them so this needs to be thought properly a well.
Berejen36
Newb
Newb

Postby dhightowerIII » 15 Oct 2014, 18:15

One thing I've noticed is no sense of urgency. As much as we try to drill it into their thick skulls they don't get the fact that they are on a time crunch. Especially in Division units with high op tempos. I would implement the maint allocation chart and tattoo it on their foreheads (figuratively speaking).
dhightowerIII
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Postby diesyl » 15 Apr 2015, 13:43

IMO honestly its terrible. Since February 2014 every boot I've gotten (with the exception of 2 that were mechanics prior to joining) are complete garbage. They think NCOs are their best friends, have no respect, no sense of urgency, and overall know absolutely nothing about the gear they work on at all. They just seem like they're there to collect a paycheck and leave without having to even work.
diesyl

Postby MAGUTI5241 » 18 Jun 2015, 06:21

Hey cklawless,

Are you still an instructor in the Motor T house? Because I trying to keep up with any changes on the operation side of Motor T. I want to know if PM's documents has changed, Sl3 gear has changed any documents that is related to operation side.
MAGUTI5241

Postby cklawless » 30 Jun 2015, 08:41

As far as I know nothing has changed. There have been some updates to the TM's its to give deeper information and understanding. Honestly ya'll get the information before we do :(
cklawless
Newb
Newb

Postby usmcak » 09 Jul 2015, 12:13

I have 6 new junior Marines in my shop that just showed up from the school house. With a little mentoring and proper guidance they have been working almost flawlessly. They are working on everything, waterbowls, HMMWVs, 7tons, LVS, LVSRs, MK36 and a few other items. They seem to be fine, with minor mishaps but all together nothing really. Try a different approach Gents.
"It's not how many years in your life that count, it's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln
usmcak
Walking TM
Walking TM

Postby MeyerMW » 29 Jul 2015, 13:47

MAGUTI5241 wrote:Hey cklawless,

Are you still an instructor in the Motor T house? Because I trying to keep up with any changes on the operation side of Motor T. I want to know if PM's documents has changed, Sl3 gear has changed any documents that is related to operation side.

I'm taking a shot in the dark, but are you asking if the weekly/monthly PMCS "checklist" has any updates? Same for the SL-3 that is issued with the vehicle;i.e. - Basic Issue Items (BII)? If I hit the target, best bet is to pull out the operator's TM. But when you do this, make sure it is the most currect version per LOGCOM (honestly your Pubs NCO should have it / know if its updated). If you need checklist for atleast the HMMWVs, I have them. I am a 3521, but at an I-I station, I have to have the ability to teach the 3531s also, as most I-I stations I have been at, there has only been 3521/29 on deck.

If I missed the target, please be more specific on your question and we will try to help out as much as possible!
I am no longer in the USMC. I am now in the Army as a 91A - Abrams Mech.
MeyerMW
Walking TM
Walking TM

Previous

Return to General