Parking Brake light stays lighted

Moderator: Founder

Parking Brake light stays lighted

Postby JMK3521 » 09 Jan 2012, 15:40

This could be an electrial problem or brake problem... I'm wondering if it could either be the parking prake needs and adjustment, or maybe the sensor that comes off the parking brake that powers the light could be bad? if any one has any suggestions or ideas please let me know.
JMK3521
Newb
Newb

Re: Parking Brake light stays lighted

Postby SUPERMOD » 09 Jan 2012, 16:26

My arty mech friend says try bleeding the brakes. If there is air in the system the brake light can stay on. Shot in the dark.
SuperMod
3521/0411/0916

"IF YOU DONT LIVE FOR SOMETHING, YOU DIE FOR NOTHING"
SUPERMOD
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby MarineOL3529 » 13 Jan 2012, 10:05

Most often than not if there is no air in the system and the switch next to the Master Cylinder is functioning properly the PCB is the issue, I am not usualy one to throw parts on a problem but if you have a spare PCB try changing it out to see if this corrects the problem.
MarineOL3529
Know it All
Know it All

Postby Barnes » 29 Feb 2012, 08:32

There are two circuts assosiated with the brake warning lamp (named that to denote it illuminates when there is an issue in the brake system). One is the parking brake handle, which uses a normally open button-type switch which closes when the lever is pulled. The other is called the "pressure differental switch" which is located underneath the master cylinder inside the combination valve (brass block with brake lines going in from the master cylinder and going out to the wheels). You will see a single wire connected to the combination valve. If you unplug this wire and the warning lamp goes off, the pressure differential switch is activated, meaning there is an unequal amount of pressure going to the front and rear brakes. A leak or air pockets in ONE SIDE of the system will cause the switch to activate. You must inspect all brake lines and fittings for leaks and repair as required. If no leaks are found, completely bleed the front and rear of the system. If the light is still on after bleeding, remove the switch from the combo valve and manually recenter the plunger. No TM will have this info, but if you search "combination valve / pressure differential switch" you can find a diagram of what it looks like and what parts have to be moved where.
Barnes

Postby jlwhite29 » 13 Feb 2013, 08:44

this is normally a simple fix! ive had a few of these in my shop and all we needed to do was pull/push the bracket that holds the other side of the little s looking connector that comes from the brake switch! It will be the braket that is actually hooked to the brake pedal!
jlwhite29
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Postby EAGLEEYE8789 » 20 Mar 2013, 07:24

PLEASE SPECIFY WHAT KIND OF VEHICLE
CANT SPELL SLAUGHTER WITHOUT LAUGHTER
EAGLEEYE8789
Walking TM
Walking TM

Postby jlwhite29 » 01 Jul 2015, 05:11

Its for any HMMWV. The "S" bracket that connects the brake switch to the brake pedal. If you pull or push on the bracked that its attached to it will normally fix your issue.
jlwhite29
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Return to Electrical