Only One Headlight

Moderator: Founder

Only One Headlight

Postby CNRMotors » 04 Mar 2015, 15:16

Sounds dumb, but yes, I checked the light by replacing with a new one. Didn't work. Light worked this morning and this afternoon it decided to quit. I checked every ground I know from battery to front harness and began troubleshooting at PCB. Am I supposed to have power to the PCB at F when the ground on battery is disconnected? Seems strange that one headlight works and the other doesn't if the PCB is bad and it's all on the same wire... TM points to PCB but I have to be missing something here.
CNRMotors

Re: Only One Headlight

Postby SUPERMOD » 09 Mar 2015, 12:40

continuity checks brother. I had a few cases like this where I had to do some simple wire chasing. the power comes from the same place so I am guessing it is a problem with the power going to that light specifically. did you check and see if the high beam worked?
SuperMod
3521/0411/0916

"IF YOU DONT LIVE FOR SOMETHING, YOU DIE FOR NOTHING"
SUPERMOD
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Chaotic » 13 Mar 2015, 07:39

I got money its a ground.. right at the light... shake it.. hit it.. volt drop test are the key here... continuity... here is where you decide if you are a mech or a tech.. good luck
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
---
3529/3524/3522/3521/0411/0431 and your basic rifleman....
Chaotic
It's Already Fixed

Postby MeyerMW » 22 Mar 2015, 04:49

Did you replace just the bulb or both housing and bulb? If just the bulb, swap the housing from the opposite side that is working to non working side. Verfiry the grounding wire is clean and bolted on to the bolts that holds the housing. Simple stuff I know, but sometimes its just that simple.
I am no longer in the USMC. I am now in the Army as a 91A - Abrams Mech.
MeyerMW
Walking TM
Walking TM

Postby Grandpa3523 » 07 Apr 2015, 11:46

Have d for a rubbing wire behind 400 amp alternator? We have had a few that the rear fan cut one or two wires and I think you have two separate wires for each headlight.
3523/3521/0411 MECHANIC FOR 39+ YEARS RECERTIFIED ASE MASTER/L1
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you; Jesus Christ
and the American G.I. One died for your soul; the other for your freedom."
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!!!!
Grandpa3523
Walking TM
Walking TM

Postby Petz » 20 Jul 2015, 22:11

The ECVs (That's the type he's having issues with...) seem to ALWAYS burn out the lights. I've found that using the $189 LED lights prevent that from happening. Just replace the PCB with a known good and see if that fixes it. I'm willing to bet your have some short in the system up in the nose. Just trace the power to the lights. I currently have an ECV HMMWV that has a burnt out low beam but the high beam is working just fine... go figure.
Petz
It's Already Fixed

Return to Electrical