compatibility

Moderator: Founder

compatibility

Postby stuckia » 14 Mar 2016, 10:46

Does anyone know if Canadian diesel can be used in the HMMWV's or where I might find the answer?
stuckia

Re: compatibility

Postby SUPERMOD » 15 Mar 2016, 07:49

it't not that your HMMWV wont run on Canadian fuel, because it will, it is that JP8 is an extremely refined and clean fuel. JP8 is still leaded and the only two places that is sold to is the military and airports. Most other fuels will give our injector pumps a hard time and will eventually fail. If you ran it through the system once it might not kill your injectors, but I wouldn't trust it long. the rotary injector system we have on the HMMWV's is pretty fragile.
SuperMod
3521/0411/0916

"IF YOU DONT LIVE FOR SOMETHING, YOU DIE FOR NOTHING"
SUPERMOD
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby motortuh4 » 22 Mar 2016, 07:31

I'm on I&I in Minnesota, and on a Air Force Reserve base, in a Navy sector of the base.... so we use the fuel we can get. Recently there was a DOD notice that went out about this new fuel, called F-24. It's green like anti-freeze and has a higher freezing temp but higher gelling temp as well. Allegedly it is compatible with JP-8, and I have not had issues. When we go on long convoys to small reserve bases out here we are stuck using Diesel from Army bases, or truck stops. Haven't had issues yet, and I remember out on deployment adding about 16 oz of dextron to fuel to keep injection pumps lubricated. I am going to be accompanying my reservists to Canada for AT in June and have already confirmed with Canadians that our fuel is compatible with theirs. so you shouldn't have issues. Hope this helps, and keep trucking.

_________
/''T''|[___|__]_
[---T--L -OlllllO-]
()_)""()_)/""''\)_)

SGT V MWSS-471 Det (-), Minneapolis MN
"Death can take me if I can't be free I'm not like you I'M A DYING BREED"
Five Finger Death Punch
"War Is the Answer"

Sgt Vigneault
8th comm BN MT Plt
motortuh4
Gear Wrench
Gear Wrench

Postby stuckia » 22 Mar 2016, 08:03

Thanks for the help
stuckia

Postby Petz » 12 Jun 2018, 13:33

I think there is a misunderstanding of JP8... never forget that milspec is a min standard, not a higher one; if the standard doesn't require a specific qty of lubricants a manufacturer may not put them a % that is good for our engines. F24 is the standard now due to cost.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JP-8
Petz
It's Already Fixed

Return to Fuel