Special Tool

Moderator: Founder

Re: Special Tool

Postby Chaotic » 13 Mar 2012, 08:41

garrison peculiar tools... are tools that are "in garrison use only" such as a building lift.. a crane... and such other things as explained to me by Mr. King "aka MGYSGT" these items are all nice and dandy to have.. but are not deployable... the special tools are just like stated earlier ... are by direction of a TM.. TI .. SI ... or simply a publication .... great example is that pulley that was referenced .... anything else should be located in UURI or your COM 10/COM 12... and if you want something added into those kits... im sure you can contact "skip" and he wont have a problem adding if needed...

MCO P4400.150E
2012. GARRISON TOOL ALLOWANCES. Fleet Marine Forces (FMF) unit
commanders
(not to go below the battalion/squadron level except
for detached units) are authorized to establish in writing
special tool allowances for tools not currently maintained
within T/E sets, kits, and chests needed to meet garrison
peculiar requirements and for required locally fabricated tools.

1. Garrison peculiar tools are defined as those tools needed to
support requirements that would not exist in a deployed
situation. The tools required to conduct authorized levels of
maintenance on organic equipment or in support of the T/O
mission will be either T/E items or components of T/E items.

2. Locally fabricated tools are those tools whose fabrication
is directed by a technical publication. The authorization list
for the locally fabricated tools will reference the technical
publication which sets the requirement for the tool.

3. Prior to submitting T/O&E change requests (NAVMC 11355) or
SL-3/TM changes (especially on tools that are unit peculiar),
other end items/tool kits already on the unit's T/E should be
checked as a source of required tools.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
---
3529/3524/3522/3521/0411/0431 and your basic rifleman....
Chaotic
It's Already Fixed

Postby Wrenchturner3529 » 15 Mar 2012, 03:28

I think the biggest problem is in understanding the "terminology" and dispelling misconceptions of the words “special tool”.

Let me explain, there are no special tools. We have a Garrison Peculiar, special tool allowance. Just because a tool does a particular function does not make it a “special tool”.

Example: A short/stubby wrench may allow you to access the transfer bolts when removing a transfer. It’s smaller than the combination wrench in our GMTK. However, just because it allows me to perform a task easier does not in itself make it a “special tool”.

Let’s breakdown the excerpt from the MCO P4400.150E.

2012. GARRISON TOOL ALLOWANCES. Fleet Marine Forces (FMF) unit commanders not to go below the battalion/squadron level except for detached units) are authorized to establish in writing special tool allowances for tools not currently maintained within T/E sets, kits, and chests needed to meet garrison
peculiar requirements and for required locally fabricated tools.

Breakdown:
This paragraph authorizes commanders to establish a special tool allowance. Allowance meaning having the item on hand, the allowance must be tools that are not in a T/E set, kit, or chest. In other words your unit does not have that tool in any other tool kit. As stipulated by paragraph 1 below.

1. Garrison peculiar tools are defined as those tools needed to support requirements that would not exist in a deployed situation. The tools required to conduct authorized levels of maintenance on organic equipment or in support of the T/O mission will be either T/E items or components of T/E items.

Breakdown:
Paragraph 1 defines what a garrison peculiar tool is. The key terminology is would not exist in a deployed situation. Therefore, any tool listed on the garrison peculiar special tool allowance letter is not for deployment. Hence, the terminology GARRISON. In addition, paragraph 1 stipulates tools will be either T/E items or components of T/E items. This is to ensure units do not purchase additional tools that duplicate tools already in the Marine Corps. I guess simply put is if you need a tool that is not a T/E item for your unit; put a Table of Equipment Change Request in to get authorization for the tool kit.

2. Locally fabricated tools are those tools whose fabrication is directed by a technical publication. The authorization list
for the locally fabricated tools will reference the technical publication which sets the requirement for the tool.

Breakdown:
Paragraph 2 addresses fabricated tools. A fabricated tool is not a “special tool”. It is a tool that has been fabricated based on an applicable reference. So the pulley alignment tool referenced in the earlier post is not a good example of a special tool. It is an example of a fabricated tool and should not have been placed on the special tool allowance letter but should have been placed on a separate fabricated tool letter. Just for clarification: the pulley alignment tool was a fabricated tool but was also accounted for by the associated SL-3 inventory for the HMMWV B-Kit. This referenced the TI for its fabrication as well. Again, just because you fabricate a tool, doesn’t make it a garrison peculiar special tool allowance.

3. Prior to submitting T/O&E change requests (NAVMC 11355) or SL-3/TM changes (especially on tools that are unit peculiar), other end items/tool kits already on the unit's T/E should be checked as a source of required tools.

Breakdown:
If the MT section doesn’t have the tool but the Engineer section does, borrow it from Engineers. Do not submit a TOACR because your unit has the tool as a T/E item. It’s just not in your section. That’s the guidance per the reference. Sucks I know. However, change will never happen if we don’t try so I would probably submit the TOACR if the need was of such a great impact to the units maintenance effort.

One last thing, as Chaotic stated, check your SL-3 inventories and see if a tool that you think may fit the criteria of a special tool allowance is in a tool kit as a UURI, as required, item. If so account for it with that kit (ensure it is on your UURI letter).

Semper Fi,
MSgt Wilson
Wrenchturner3529
Newb
Newb

Postby Petz » 16 Mar 2012, 00:50

this is great dialogue.
Petz
It's Already Fixed

Postby Loco0078 » 04 May 2012, 20:07

So I have tools i.e. 1" and 3/4" sockets from the old common#1. Some of the sockets are in the common#24 but most of the bigger ones are not. My question is, under what type of "tool listing" do I put all these sockets in?. I have them as "special tools" now but I know its not right since it once had a home in the common#1. I have a sl-3 for a common#10,20,22,24. My next question is if I have a like item, like the DUO check on the common24, are those considered Additional authorized or do they have to be the same NSN as the one on the Common24?
Loco0078
Gear Wrench
Gear Wrench

Postby Chaotic » 10 May 2012, 09:55

awesome point..
com#1 had a special direction on how it was supposed to be added.. take all items that you need create a listing and add as needed.. most items on there were added to your COM 10/COM12... and had to be put into your UURI

https://portal.logcom.usmc.mil/sites/pu ... 052000.pdf
https://portal.logcom.usmc.mil/sites/pu ... 589000.pdf

a common 24/34 and so on.. do not have UURI... they have a com 10/12... those tool kits are specifically designed to to carry UURI... the GMTK also has UURI...
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
---
Chaotic
It's Already Fixed

Postby Petz » 21 Jul 2012, 06:22

After asking the questions, Fabricated tools can be any tool you fabricate that the tool kits don't have and that do a special function you wouldn't have previously had. Technical publications that direct special tools to be fabricated are your primary source of fabricated tools, however if you think you need one to do a job better/easier you can make one.

Example is the DFCS mod for the 7-tons in artillery units. You need to drill holes in certain spots, the mod doesn't ask for a template plate but you can make one and have it as a fabricated tool.
Petz
It's Already Fixed

Postby CF_Mongrel » 31 Jul 2012, 15:38

Here are the new questions for the FY13 FSMAO Checklist that apply to garrison tool allowances and UURI:
1. Are garrison tool allowances established and are they properly authorized and accounted for? (MCO P4400.150E, Para. 2012; and MCO P4790.2C, Appendix D, Para. 3.c.(3)) (FMF Units only)
- 1st Requirement:
- Verify that garrison peculiar tools that are not included in any T/E allowance set, chest, or kit have been identified and properly authorized and accounted for in writing.
- If no discrepancies exist, the accuracy rate = 100%.
- If discrepancies exist, the answer to the question is “NO,” and the accuracy rate will be the grade. Example: If 9 of 10 garrison peculiar tools are properly authorized and accounted for in writing, the accuracy rate = 90%.
- 2nd Requirement:
- Verify that the CO has signed an authorization letter for locally fabricated tools.
- Locally fabricated tools are those tools whose fabrication is directed by a technical publication.
- The authorization list for the locally fabricated tools will reference the technical publication that sets the requirement for the tool.
- If no discrepancies exist, the accuracy rate = 100%.
- If discrepancies exist, the answer to the question is “NO,” and the accuracy rate will be the grade. Example: If 9 of 10 locally fabricated tools are on an authorization letter, the accuracy rate = 90%.
Score = (R1 + R2)/2

2. Has the unit commander established in writing all Using Unit Responsibility Items (UURIs) and Additional Authorization List (AAL) allowances to include both “As Required” quantities and those quantities held less than the stated quantity? (MCO P4400.150E, Para. 2011.c)
“HOW TO”
- Verify that the CO has signed an authorization letter for UURI.
- Verify if quantities to be held have been established on the letter.
- Verify the commodity used updated TMs and SL- 3s publications. to identify UURI/AAL. .
- Verify that the inventory records properly reflect the authorization letter.
- If no discrepancies exist, the answer to the question is “YES,” and the accuracy rate = 100%.
- If discrepancies exist, the answer to the question is “NO,” and the accuracy rate will be the grade. Example: If written authorization exists for 9 of 10 UURI items, the accuracy rate = 90%.
Elliott
Motor Tuh Maint

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment,
when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.
CF_Mongrel
Gear Wrench
Gear Wrench

Postby Chaotic » 28 Jan 2013, 16:03

i wish i had it electronic .. but this needs to have the GPN's added for the FSMAO chklist..
the radical change is coming and we need to brace for impact..
.. at the speed of battle...
---
Chaotic
It's Already Fixed

Postby adomingueztoscano » 30 Jul 2014, 11:14

So I'm having a difficult time telling the difference between the two. I understand that a UURI is a letter signed for special tools, but then what is an AAL used for? I know that in the SL-3 inventories in the TM, there are Additional Authorization, but would UURI's cover these items? I think I have overlooked something.
adomingueztoscano
Gear Wrench
Gear Wrench

Postby SgtCathers » 05 Aug 2014, 12:22

AAL is just that additional. Anything under additional is not required unless you want to have it or your CO dictates you will have it. UURI is your responsibility to inventory and order so anything that has an SL-3 checklist. So anything on your CMR you need to check and see if it has SL-3 that goes along with it.
SgtCathers
It's Already Fixed

Previous

Return to Inventory Control (tool room)