What is included in an Annual PM?

Moderator: Founder

What is included in an Annual PM?

Postby jwhiteiii » 10 Oct 2012, 22:47

Where I am presently working, there seems to be a question as to what is an annual PM. I being direceted to do only what the manual says for the annual and nothing else. You do not do the before, During after PMCS, nor do you do the weekly, monthly or semi-annual task. Only what it says for Annual. Does anyone know where I can find the directive, or order that explains this? I've always done everything the manual says up to and including the serivces that I am being directed.
Joseph White
GySgt USMC Retired
Okinawa Japan
jwhiteiii
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Re: What is included in an Annual PM?

Postby SgtCathers » 11 Oct 2012, 10:48

It has been my understanding that you do everything up to the annual pmcs. In the TM' it lists three types of PM's we are to do: semi-annual every 6 months, annual every 12, and biennial every 24. Logicaly speaking everytime you do an annual it is also time for a semiannual and everytime you do a biennial it is time for a semi and another annual. Weekly and monthly PMCS is supposed to be done by the owning unit and they are required to provide a proof of PMCS, usually three weekly PMCS and a monthly PMCS. This is my understanding of how the TM and the 4790 reads.
SgtCathers
It's Already Fixed

Postby jwhiteiii » 11 Oct 2012, 18:56

I agree with "Walking TM,'" but where is it in writing? The persons I'm dealing with are not logical in any way, shape, or form. Their equiment is also in a sad state of affairs because of it. Please, if someone knows what order, or manual it is listed in, please let me know.
Joseph White
GySgt USMC Retired
Okinawa Japan
jwhiteiii
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Postby Petz » 14 Oct 2012, 15:24

Well, what is all done when gear gets inducted? the before, during, and afters right? or at least they should be, plus the last months worth of weekly/monthly PMCS should be provided to the QC to validate that they are doing thier part in preventative maintenance of the gear. This then leaves the semi-annual (which there is no semi-annual scheduling anymore) and annual stuff to get done. You'll notice that the stuff doesn't really overlap between the different intervals, if it does it's a replace fluid turning into a replace filter (only an issue with the transmission).

Again, MSgt Elliot said it before here on the site, you're not required to write all the things you've done during the PM but when it comes time for an investigation that tracking of torque specs and tasks completed will keep you out of jail.

I hope this provides a bit of clarification, if you have any other questions go ahead and post it.
Petz
It's Already Fixed

Postby usmc199419 » 22 Sep 2014, 13:43

Though I agree what everyone is saying. I still do not think the question is being answered. Though the TM is still listing all the 3 PM's where does it say that "Semi-Annual" tasks will now be part of either Annual or Bi-Annual PM's. I am trying to make a checklist to upload to GCSS for when I do my PM's but at this point who is to say (besides FASMOA) that I can not put all my Semi-annual Tasks with Bi-Annual PMs or Annual PM's or split the Semi-annual tasks up.
usmc199419
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Postby Petz » 24 Sep 2014, 08:35

this was 2 years ago.
Petz
It's Already Fixed

Postby usmc199419 » 02 Oct 2014, 10:10

I know but I still can't find the answer to it.
usmc199419
Grease Monkey
Grease Monkey

Postby SgtCathers » 07 May 2015, 15:45

I know this is old but it says it right in the 4790.

7. Annual PMCS. Annual PMCS is performed by maintenance
personnel, assisted by the operator or crew. The normal interval
between annual PMCS is 12 months but may be advanced when the
operating criteria specified in the equipment’s technical manual
are achieved earlier. Annual PMCS will include all PMCS required
for annual PMCS and lower. Annual PMCS is conducted for the same
basic reason as the semiannual PMCS. However, annual PMCS is
greater in scope, and additional time is required to accomplish
annual PMCS requirements. The operator or crew of the equipment
will be queried by maintenance personnel, when possible, to obtain
first-hand information on
SgtCathers